Join sisters Megan (Medical herbalist) and Jenna Waddy (Naturopathic Doctor) for a four week introduction to herbal medicine!
Medicinal plants are an important part of our lives and can be used safely and effectively to support the mind, body and spirit.
During this course we will provide you with the tools necessary to navigate the world of herbal medicine, including:
- Introduction to plant medicines: terminology, ethical harvesting practices, herbal preparations and safety profiles
- Herbal remedies for common conditions (gastrointestinal, respiratory, immune, skin and nervous system)
- Herbal medicine making
- How to make a herbal first aid kit
- Herbal medicine is a hands-on practice; individuals will be given the opportunity to experience and connect with plants using all of the senses: looking, smelling, touching, tasting and feeling the energetics of individual plants.
When & Where
- Class 1: Saturday April 28th 10am-1pm
- Class 2: Saturday May 12th 10am-1pm
- Class 3: Saturday May 26th 10am-1pm
- Class 4: Saturday June 2nd 10am-1pm
Location: Matraea Centre
By the end of the course you will leave with $100 worth of herbal products, as well as recipes to make your own remedies at home!
Products include: Custom blended herbal tea, Tincture, Medicinal syrup, Healing Salve
Also included in the course
Take home exercises
Herbal medicine-making handbook
Access to PowerPoint slides & Hands-on experiences with individual herbs
Cost: $310.00 (includes over $100 in materials and products!)
Week 1 – Intro to herbal medicine
During the first week we will discuss
- what is herbal medicine
- various ways to use plants medicinally: teas (infusions & decoctions), tinctures, syrups, capsules, essential oils, flower essences
- Herbal terminology (plant actions)
- Experience the organoleptic qualities of plants: using all of your senses to connect and identify plants
- MEDICINE MAKING: learn how to make a tincture
Week 2 - Digestive and Nervous system health
During the second week we will discuss
- Overview of the digestive system & herbal remedies for common digestive concerns including gas and bloating, diarrhea, constipation, heartburn, nausea
- Overview of the nervous system & herbal remedies for stress, anxiety, low mood
- MEDICINE MAKING: blend a custom herbal tea.
Week 3 - Immune & respiratory health
During the third week we will discuss
- Overview of the immune system & herbal remedies for common ailments including weakened immune system, upper respiratory tract infections (the common cold), acute and chronic infections, and fevers.
- MEDICINE MAKING: Learn how to make an immune syrup.
Week 4 – Skin health
During the fourth week we will discuss
- Overview of the immune system and the skin & herbal remedies for eczema, cuts, scrapes, bruises, skin infections (bacterial, fungal and viral). Ex. Athletes foot, cold sore, head lice, staph. Discussion of helpful herbal remedies in a home herbal first aid kit.
- MEDICINE MAKING: Learn how to make a healing salve.
**Disclaimer: This course does not include diagnosis of medical conditions and should not be used as a substitute for medical advice**